September 22, 2008

Morenci

After church on Sunday we took a little drive up to the Morenci/Clifton area. Dave works up there almost every day and I wanted to understand better what he does and sees. It is a historic area and I wish I knew more about the area. We drove around the mine and got to see lots of haul trucks and shovels. It is such a HUGE operation and run so smoothly. For those of you who may not know Morenci AZ is home to one of the largest copper mines in the world. They employ an enormous amount of people in our community. The company Dave works for, RSC, has opened a store on site at the mine and Dave has transferred to that new store. It is about an hour drive each way every day.

Along side the road we saw a train engine so we stopped to let the kids crawl on it. It sits right next to an old jail that is carved out of the mountain. We walked down inside of it, boy was it creepy.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

What a fun day!!

Kris said...

I LOVE the look on Carson's face- too cute!

Bump and Erin said...

I have pictures of all of us cousins at that very same jail when we went on a tour of the mine last time we were all together - like 1991 or something. It is a spooky jail and I would hate to have been locked in there! Sounds like a great day!

Jason and Amanda said...

Crazy that I've been to Morenci a million times and don't ever remember stopping at the jail and train! Glad you had fun! How come no pics of the "hole"? Tell Dave to drive safe--that has become a crazy route!

Tracy Collings said...

Okay, I have a lot of catching up to do, I just found your blog on my sister Jamie's blog. It's fun to see all your cute kids!
Tracy Collings

Kristen said...

oh my gosh. those boys are so adorable! Carson's expression is priceless. he could go into acting and make the big money!