September 9, 2008

Who needs toys?

For Christmas we will not be purchasing toys of any kind; instead we will buy boxes and tin foil.

The other day Carson called Dave and asked him to bring home a box. Dave found this big copier box for him. The boys have made a club house out of it and have played with it non-stop!

I can remember one of the best Christmas presents we ever got as kids was a huge appliance box that had been painted and windows cut in it. My Mom glued curtains around the windows. We loved that "fort" and played in all the time. Thinking back my parents probably didn't have lots of money that year for gifts for 6 kids, but we didn't notice. Funny how the simplest things can bring the most joy.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so true!!

The Chidesters said...

Can Dave bring home a box for us, too? Looks like fun!

Unknown said...

What fun!
You are so lucky that your boys are "best friends".
You are right about boxes tho...they really do make great play things.

*Shaffen and Misty* said...

That is so true! Very funny!

The Gooding Family said...

Hi Dana!!
I am so glad you found me. It was fun to read your blog and catch up with what your family has been up to since we saw you guys last. Wow, 3 boys! I bet that is a lot of fun.

I loved your comment about how the simple things can bring the most joy. We kept our last Christmas simple and it was the best Christmas we had ever had.

Also, I love how your boys room is so organized. In my dreams I am just like you. :)

Tell Dave hello for us! I added your link to our blog so feel free to do the same.

Take care,
Wendy

Becca said...

haha! yep, ain't that the truth! and instead of getting baby toys for babies, why not toilet paper rolls and wrapping paper? so much more interesting than the actual toys... :)