January 20, 2009

We're still here

Since Christmas I've been meaning to blog something, but it's been hard to come up with some thing "blog worthy". We've been busy getting back to school and undecorating our house. I know the rest of you have been dealing with less than perfect weather, sorry to tell you that our weather has been darn near perfect. My boys have not worn anything heavier than a hoodie all winter. Here are a few pictures of our past few weeks.

The other night I made Green Eggs & Ham for the boys. I thought they'd love it, I always did as a kid. Carson woofed it down but Adam just picked at it. I was getting upset that he wouldn't eat it until he threw up. This was on New Year's Eve, we were suppose to go to a party but as the night went on he just kept throwing up so we canceled our plans and spent the night rinsing out puck buckets.Brady is eating like a champ now. He loves bananas and peas! He is getting so big so fast. He now claps his hands and says "papapapapapa" and "mamamamama".
On Saturday Dave and Adam went out to the sand dunes with some friends and family. I opted out and Carson spent the day at my Dad's "helping" him planting trees. Dave had to get the bikes all cleaned up before going. Adam had a blast and so did Dave although he was pretty sore the day after.Here is what I have been doing. The grocery store had a really good sale on chicken so I stocked up and spent the past 3 days canning it. I ended up with 17 pints of chicken and 13 quarts of broth. This picture doesn't show all the broth because I was still processing a batch. The bottles may not be as pretty as what you would see at the county fair, but it is done and on the shelf. Both my Grandmothers and my Mom can and I leaned some while growing up, but I have been wanting to learn to do more. This summer we did peach jam and now chicken, I'd like to do beans next. Some may say it isn't worth the work but I disagree, I feel like I have accomplished something great and have learned a valuable skill all the while connecting with my heritage.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Way to go Dana! There's nothing quite as beautiful as a counter full of sealed bottles, you should be proud.

Miranda said...

Sounds like things are going good! I was down there last weekend and the weather was awesome. Great job on canning!

Erick & Kami Wright Family said...

Good job Dana! Now you need to teach me. I've done Pie filling and Jam and stuff, but not meat. That is the most fun looking at the finished product!

Unknown said...

Good Job!!

The Chidesters said...

See . . . this is why I'm not Mormon. I can't can, I can barely sew, I hate scrapbooking and I greatly dislike green jello. But you inspire me in so many ways, Dana!

The Chidesters said...

See . . . this is why I'm not Mormon. I can't can, I can barely sew, I hate scrapbooking and I greatly dislike green jello. But you inspire me in so many ways, Dana!

Unknown said...

Charmayne...when you are ready we will TEACH you to can or sew or scrapbook or whatever it is that you think Mormons do!
Truth be known...LOTS of us don't do those things!!

Amy Allred said...

Now I know where to go when times get rough. I'll bring the rice you provide the chicken. Good job I am proud of ya.